Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Finally!

Hello again,
I bet you thought you'd lost me? Well, the weekend after our wedding my new hubby and I packed up and moved to Scott Air Force Base in Illinois for a new 2 year assignment, and with all the moving mayhem, I have just recently recovered (unpacked) my camera and all the wedding pics. So I apologize for the belated post, but I promise it will be worth the wait!

Ok, first things first! Back in September when I made the cherry chocolate chip cupcakes for the Triple Play Birthday post, my hubby decided he liked the flavor so much that he wanted me to make those for the wedding instead of my Pumpkin Spice cupcake recipe that I had been working on all year! Yikes! What to do? I tried convincing him that cherry chocolate chip wasn't a fall-themed flavor, but when my argument fell flat, I opted for a compromise - I'd just make both! Why not have a Harley themed groom's cake with a flavor he really loves for our family bbq on Friday, and have my pumpkin spice cupcakes for the big reception on Saturday? That's a LOT of cupcakes, but it's the best of both worlds!

So Wednesday, I set about making the Cherry Chip recipe. You can read all about the recipe and see pics of the work in progress in the September post. Hubby liked them with chocolate frosting instead of the cherry vanilla in the recipe, so that's what I went with. And yes, I used canned chocolate frosting (you know me by now!). It was easier for me, and since the cupcakes were from scratch I figured I could cheat on the frosting a bit.

In going with our Harley-themed bbq, I used silver wrappers for the cupcakes, along with some silver and black Harley picks I purchased online and a Hog cake topper. I made 2 batches of cupcakes and used one more batch of batter to bake a 6" round as a cutting cake. I split the cake into 2 layers and frosted the middle, and decorated the whole thing with maraschino cherry halves. The final touches were milk- and white- chocolate motorcycles made with molds I purchased here and dusted with edible silver luster dust. Here are the pics!












The cupcakes went into the fridge and were still moist and delicious on Friday. If you're going to refrigerate these cupcakes, make sure you let them come to room temperature before you serve them. They are butter-recipe, and so they're really dense when they're cold. Otherwise, we were still eating the leftovers a week later and they tasted great!

So that was round one for the wedding weekend. Round 2? Look for a post later this week. Stay tuned!

Love,
CaraCakes

No comments: