Thursday, October 30, 2008

...and the wedding recap

Well my friends, as promised, here are the rest of the pics from our busy wedding weekend.

In case you missed it, the wedding cupcakes you see here are the culmination of a whole year's worth of study and practice in all things cake related. (This was cupcake armageddon! My big TAA-DAAAAH!)

All in all, I was very proud of how the cupcakes turned out. I thought they looked nearly professional and people simply raved about the flavor. I wish I had counted how many times I heard "you MADE these?!" during the evening, but I was too busy dancing and sipping champagne! Do you know that we didn't have a single cupcake leftover after the wedding reception? How often does that happen? So yeah, I think I'm going to call this one a success! Hooray!

CaraCakes' Spicy Fall Wedding Cuppycakes
with Pumpkin Cream Cheese filling and Maple Buttercream Icing
If you want the recipe, here's the link back to the original post.
I did make one or two adjustments to the recipe for the final go-round. I added a bit more pumpkin to the pumpkin cream cheese filling and doubled the maple flavor in the icing to 1t. just to make the flavor more pronounced.

And without further ado, the pics:

Ladies and gentlemen, gather your spices!


Beating the cream cheese and butter for the filling. Obviously this is a double batch...


Mmmmmm pumpkinny orange color


Here are a couple tricks I've learned when making cupcakes you have to carry somewhere. 1) Line the bottom of a cake box with a cake board or cardboard to make the box more sturdy. 2) Fill and frost the cupcakes INSIDE the box! You can fold up the sides of the box after you're done filling and frosting, and then you don't have to worry about smearing the frosting as you're trying to get them nestled in their places.

Of course I had to sample one! Really, it was just to get the pic for you. Really it was. I could have eaten all 96 of them just like this, but everyone else wanted frosting. Sigh.


Through the cake box window, 24 swirly frosted cuppies.


A closeup of a sparkly fondant leaf. Remember my friend from up North who does lots of gorgeous cakes? She volunteered to make all the fondant leaves for me as a wedding gift so I wouldn't have to worry about decorations and I could just focus on the cupcakes. Didn't she do an amazing job? These are all colored, cut, shaped and sparkled by hand!


The finished product!


Last but not least... big smiles all around!


So with a big sigh of relief, there it is. I'd love to hear what you thought of the project, the final results, and any of the other projects I have attempted and displayed here for you over the last year.

So is this the end of the blog? I really don't think so. I'm kind of on a bite-sized dessert kick now. I'm sure in our new location, life will call for cupcakes (maybe Air Force cupcakes?) and I promise to keep updating you on my adventures in frosting!

Love,
CaraCakes

3 comments:

evil cake lady said...

Caracakes, you and your husband make a lovely couple! I love the sparkly leaves, and how nice of your friend to make them for you. What a great tip about frosting the cupcakes in the box--I will remember that! And I appreciate your cupcake sacrifice so that we could see the stuffing :) I'm glad you plan to keep on blogging!

Jess Thompson said...

I'm a bit late to the party, having only found this blog today when looking around at different cake sites (your Dad's golf cake lured me in from google), but just wanted to say, "Congratulations!!" on both the wedding and the massive success that is the cupcake tower.

Those look absolutely delicious and the flavour combinations have my mouth watering haha.

Do you plan to continue cake making now that the wedding is done? I sure hope so, as I would love to read more. I've bookmarked your site.

You and your husband look so happy!

Amy B. said...

LOVELY! congratulations, what a success :) looks really good! both you couple and the cake! :)